- These exercises, done regularly, will help you keep a healthy back.
- Exercise daily. Reserve 10 minutes each day, 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes at night.
- Don’t exercise if you are having pain. Consult Dr. Utley if you have pain while exercising.
- Perform stretches independently with 7 repetitions each.
- Slowly drop head forward. You will feel the stretch in the back of your neck.
- Slowly drop head backward. You will feel the stretch in the front neck muscles.
- Slowly turn your head to each side. Feel the stretch of the muscles on the side of your neck.
- Do not stretch / lean your neck to the side (ear to shoulder) as this will irritate the nerves in your neck!
- Double/Single knee-to-chest stretch
- Lie down on back.
- Pull both knees in to the chest until you feel a stretch.
- Keep the back relaxed.
- Hold for 45 to 60 seconds.
- Repeat with each leg separately.
- Pelvic Tilt Exercise
- Lie on back with knees bent, feet flat, and arms at sides (Figure a).
- Tighten and lift buttock muscles (Figure b).
- Hold for 10 to 15 seconds and release. Gradually increase your holding time to 60 seconds.